Friday, May 19, 2006

Anticipate this

Took a trip down to the batting cages at Chelsea Piers last week. Was the first time I was facing a bowling machine. Well, not exactly. It was the second time. The first time had been during a cricket nets session at the HC way back in the darkness that serves for the past. But this time round had baseball bat in hand, and a machine spitting yellow balls at 65 mph from a distance of about 30 feet, with no windup whatsoever to prepare you. Needless to say, my first couple of at-bats, a string of 10 pitches, I swung mightily and missed mightily. Humiliated, and suitably humbled, I set about trying to anticipate the pitch a little more. I changed my stance to imitate Johnny Damon, using my left leg to step into the pitch. A cricket hangover, no doubt, but it helped tremendously. Over time things got better, and I was able to crunch quite a few.

My hands are blistered now. Next time will make sure to wear a glove, and perhaps also not face upwards of 70 pitches.

Now, I want to play cricket.

No comments: