Monday, December 04, 2006

Sacrificing Cinematic Immortality at the altar of Linguistic Lunacy

They are shooting the Kite Runner in Hebei province some 300 kilometers away from Beijing. An ad seeking extras has been placed in thatsbj.com (bj being Beijing, for those of you whose thoughts are often raunchier than their deeds). But for the fact that the shooting is on Wednesday and Thursday, I would most certainly have been off to be a part of big budget cinema. Would I pass as Afghan? Probably not, though I do possess a nose that would not embarrass me. In any case, it is moot, since I don’t think I am going. Ah, the opportunities I squander in my quest to achieve the linguistic competency of a 10 year old.

On a related note, I find it interesting that they chose to film in China and not elsewhere. If Afghanistan is too dangerous, which it very well might be, then what about the other ‘stans? Indeed, what about Pakistan? More realistic terrain, definitely a lot easier to find extras, not to add that it would also probably be a lot cheaper. I am intrigued, and shall investigate.

3 comments:

Zee said...

so did u make good use of the nose and land urself a part or not? :)

Giscard said...

Alas, no. Sadly my moment in the limelight passed me by.

Pasha said...

oho...you should have gone for it. no one (in the 'west') is going to be able to tell the difference between a swarthy hindoo such as your self and gora chitta pashtun with a massive honker. you forget what people in north america are like.